Ordering Immunizations

Giving health providers a way to easily order immunizations that are due for their patient.

THE PROBLEM

The workflow to order routine immunizations was unnecessarily complex and did not match the expectations of health providers.  

Some of the specific challenges in the previous UI were:

  • Too many clicks to order immunizations

  • Not very intuitive

  • Having to enter into a mode to order

  • Having both 'Order' and 'Save' buttons confusing

THE TIMELINE

This project was part of a larger effort to re-platform an enterprise EHR software. This effort lasted about  

THE TEAM

I worked alongside visual designers, product management, and development. 

THE GOAL

The goal of the ordering immunizations project was to simplify the process to order immunizations. 

RESPONSIBILITIES 

I worked on this project as the Lead Interaction Designer and Usability Analyst.

Main areas of responsibility:

  • UX analysis (flows, data analysis, focus groups, user testing, user interviews)

  • Design (iterations on the UI, color usage, and layout)

  • Prototyping (basic flow and interactions)

THE TOOLS

  • Figma

  • Google Docs

  • GoTo Meeting 

ORIGINAL UI

THE PROCESS

Desk Research

I started the project by researching how ordering worked in the current system. I spent time tinkering around in the system, reading help documentation, and consulting with experts. I ran a biweekly focus group with existing users.

Interview

I conducted 1:1 interviews with users of the software to find out what their biggest pain points were. User personas were created at this stage. 

Wireframe

I created wireframes in Figma based on the user feedback that was collected. The wireframes followed the guidelines from the company's design pattern library.

Test

I conducted usability tests with several customers to see if the proposed solution fit their needs and expectations. Testers included both MAs and Pediatricians, primarily focusing on the pediatric schedule. 

Iterate

I refined the designs based on the usability issues discovered in testing. Testing and redesign went through several iterations to get to the final solution.

Handoff

Finalized designs were handed off to the development team to code.  

Affinity Diagram

During the research stage, my team and I used affinity diagrams to help us group similar topics together and understand where the main customer pain points were. 

Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 8.57.38 PM.png

THE SOLUTION

TITLE OF THE CALLOUT BLOCK

Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 5.16.30 PM.png