Home Renovation

Home Reno Pro

Understanding our users to create a more personalized experience


Home Reno Pro is software where homeowners can request home renovation work that needs to be done and contractors can be hired to do the work. This software was built over 20 years ago and has not seen many changes.


Over the years, the software was adopted by users that it was not originally designed for. Home Reno Pro was aware that their customer base had expanded beyond contractors, but they weren’t sure who the new users were and their specific needs. 

Some of the specific challenges discovered:

  • It is time-consuming to find relevant jobs.

  • There is a need for a search.

  • Onboarding is confusing. Many non-contractor customers signed up as contractors and had access to features they couldn’t use.

  • There is a need for more targeted notifications.

  • There is a reliance on outside tools to keep track of jobs of interest.


This sub-project lasted about 6 months. The larger effort is still ongoing. 


I worked as a UX Researcher alongside UI designers, product management, and development. 


To gain a better understanding of how non-contractor customers are using the website and come up with solutions to better meet their needs.


I worked on this project as the UX Researcher.

Main areas of responsibility:

  • Recruitment

  • Planning

  • Conducting user interviews

  • Data synthesis and analysis


  • Dovetail

  • Google Docs

  • Zoom

  • Calendly

  • Invision Freehand



I started the project by setting clear goals and objectives of what we wanted to learn. From there I began recruitment. Customers self-identified their roles in a survey. I used that list as a jumping off point to contacting non-contractor customers.


I conducted 1:1 interviews with existing non-contractor users of the software. I discovered what their biggest pain points were and learned that many of them were fully aware the software was not designed with them in mind.


I held affinity mapping sessions with the cross-functional team to determine common themes across interviews. User personas and journey maps were created at this stage. 


I worked with designers to come up with solutions for the pain points we uncovered. 


The designers created hi-fidelity prototypes of the solutions.


I conducted a series of usability tests with the same non-contractor customers to validate that the new designs met their needs. Some small adjustments were implemented, but overall the designs tested well. From there we handed off to dev to build.



Those who are looking to find work that they can complete all on their own.


Those looking for a specific category of work, within a larger job.


Those looking to provide specific items that can be used on a job.


By the end of this study, we had a much better understanding of who was using our service. This service which was originally designed for contractors was also being used heavily by subcontractors and suppliers. 

We learned what specific goals each user type was trying to accomplish and made changes to the design to make the service more usable for them.

Changes implemented:

  • Adding a search bar to the job posting page.

  • Adding a section to the onboarding where the user can self-identify their role. From there, the onboarding is catered to their role.

  • Adding more flexibility around the types of notifications a user can receive. 

  • Adding the ability to favorite jobs of interest, so they are easy to refer back to later.